Skip to main content

Plagues, Nazis, and bad allegories

 Something that we talked about a bit right at the beginning of our reading of The Plague (and in class today) was Camus' intention to make this book an allegory of the Nazi occupation of Europe in World War II. As someone who has read extensively about the Nazis' role in WWII, particularly the Holocaust, I was excited for Camus to provide a thought-provoking parallel. However, I was thoroughly disappointed by the direction in which Camus took this parallel. And while The Plague is a fascinating novel through which to examine human nature and deadly plagues, it is inaccurate and even offensive as a WWII metaphor.

First of all, fascism is rooted in extreme government control. In The Plague, the government is very neutral and rational, eliminating this most basic and foundational piece of fascism. Furthermore, in the novel everybody is unified against the plague, which disrupts the parallel between medical teams and resistance groups, since resistance groups were at odds with most of society. It is ignorant to frame Nazi-occupied France (or any Nazi-occupied country in WWII, for that matter) as fully unified, either in support of or against the Nazis, but Camus does exactly this.

Secondly, a cornerstone of Nazism is the systematic targeting of certain groups, while a plague clearly does no such thing. It is offensive to even suggest that there was anything arbitrary about who the Nazis placed in concentration camps and murdered. By failing to include an overly controlling government or a more systematic killer from his novel, Camus' allegory turns into one where the only significant parallel is mass death.

I am not saying that Camus' allegory has absolutely no credibility - there are some scenes that mirror scenes from Europe in WWII (for me, the most chilling of these were the descriptions of mass graves and burning the dead, both of which are clear parallels to the Holocaust). Even the final scene, where Rieux ominously hints at the plague never being fully eradicated, is a clever warning that Nazis and Nazi-like beliefs will always linger under the surface, waiting opportunistically. However, there are not quite enough connections, whether overt or covert, to make this allegory really work.

Comments

  1. Yeah, I agree with you. I was initially planning to write my last blog post for this novel on something related to WWII, but I scrapped that idea because I just didn't see enough parallels. There were a few moments that popped out at me where I could definitely see a bit of that point peering out (such as the mention of efficiency at the camp), but I don't think it's necessarily enough to frame this novel as a WWII novel. Instead, I think it is more of just a novel focused on how people respond to the unknown. It also serves as a good tool to compare philosophies, but neither of those really do enough to make it a WWII novel. It's a valid idea, just not one related to Nazis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; I was really thrown off by how Camus exaggerated the indiscriminate nature of the plague, especially in the scene depicting the death of M. Othon's young, innocent son. As you pointed out, the Holocaust was anything but indiscriminate. I actually did some poking around on the Internet to see if anyone had come up with a thorough, convincing analysis of The Plague as an allegory for Nazi occupation, and I couldn't find anything worth sharing... Unfortunately, I actively *disagreed* with some of the analyses I read. If anyone has parallels they can draw, though, I'd be curious to hear them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a better statement for this book would be that it was inspired by Camus's experience in Nazi occupied France, but it in no way demonstrates the actual events of the Holocaust. I can see where there might be some parallels; for example, people ignoring a seemingly ominous sign in front of them until it's too late, but it's not enough to make this a full-blown WWII allegory.

      Delete
  3. Yeah it seems pretty loosely based on Nazi occupation, however I think Camus' point is the sysiphian parallels between the two situations and focused more on the parallels between the resistance and health workers than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I hadn't heard of the Nazi allegory theory beforehand, the idea of the Plague being synonymous with Nazi occupation would never have crossed my mind. If it's hinted at at all, it's only in the general moral and existentialist/absurdist questions the book raises. I think the situation of the plague itself doesn't work well as an allegory, but some of the same moral lessons still apply. Otherwise, I don't think the connection is clear at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Will the Party lose steam?

In terms of optimistic book passages, I can't say this one is at the top of my list. Basically what we learned from chapters III-V of Part Three is that the Party will rule the world for all of eternity, and there is no situation in which they will not succeed. Winston protests when O'Brien tells him this, arguing that the Party will self-destruct at some point, or at least some spiritual force in the universe will prevent the eternal rule of the Party. However, O'Brien just mocks Winston. O'Brien makes a very convincing case for the Party, but there is one potential loophole that could topple the Party - decreasing devotion to the cause.  In revolutions, the most passionate generation is the one that actually revolts (obviously). In 1984 , that is the group that is currently running the Party. However, as authoritarian regimes pass down through the generations, this revolutionary fervor dies down, and those in power either loosen their grip enough to destabilize themse...

The Curse of the Cubs

I wrote my final project about a person who embodies the Cubs' 108-year World Series drought. My story starts with the Cubs winning the 1908 World Series, and skips around to a few significant moments in the main character's life before ending with the 2016 World Series. Here's a few important things to know about the Cubs and baseball before you start reading: The World Series is a best-of-seven series, so you have to win 4 games to win To get to the World Series, teams have to win a different best-of-seven series, called either the National League Championship Series (NLCS) or the American League Championship Series (ALCS). The Cubs play in the National League, so they have to win the NLCS to advance The Cubs won the World Series in 1907 and 1908 and appeared in a few more after that, but didn't appear in a World Series from 1945-2016 The infamous Bartman Incident occurred when a Cubs fan (Steve Bartman) deflected a foul ball out of reach of Cubs outfielder Mois...

'Hard-boiled': a post about egg metaphors

"It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing." This line uttered by Jake is fascinating to me, and not only because he compares himself to a cooked egg. First of all, this is one of the few scenes where we see Jake admitting that he has any emotions - he spends the majority of the novel trying to be nonchalant and as stereotypically masculine as possible. We mentioned in class that a perk of Hemingway's bland style is that emotional breakthroughs are much more significant. We experience one of those breakthroughs here, where Jake is finally admitting that his personality and attitude is a façade that he hides behind. However, the thing I really want to talk about is the term 'hard-boiled' and why I think it's such an accurate description of Jake. So, I'm assuming we're all familiar with hard-boiled eggs. Hard shells, soft insides, cooked in pots of boiling water. By calling himself hard-boiled,...